Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Pregnancy advice

I've noticed that people are very willing to give advice to you when pregnant... Mostly this advice comes from people I don't know very well.  Which means it is unsolicited and oftentimes strange... strange advice.

-Coming from a middle-aged woman who has never had children:  "If you eat pineapple and mango's you'll go into labor right away"- True or not, I will avoid pineapples and mangos until after finals.

-"Make sure you have the car seat installed before you go to the hospital because they WILL NOT let you leave without one" - While the hospital won't let drive away without one, they certainly won't keep you captive if you try to walk away...

-"If you are grocery shopping when you water breaks, just grab a jar of pickles and drop it on the floor so no one knows the mess was from you" - I doubt the last thing I do if my water breaks, while conveniently at the grocery store, is run to a different isle while trailing a bunch of fluid and throw a jar of pickles on the ground. I have a feeling that would make me look more insane than simply telling someone my water broke and apologize for the mess...

-People often ask me if I've been having contractions, to which I answer, Yes (because I do have them often).  They usually respond by saying something like, "Well, don't get your hopes up, you could be in labor for weeks!" -Thank you. That is exactly what I want to hear as my stomach contracts and hips burn in pain.

-The last week or so I've noticed that even my maternity clothes just don't fit as well anymore.  I have one skirt that has a zipper and I started not to zip it all the way up out of comfort.  One day at work I walked past a lady and she noticed that my shirt hadn't been pulled down in the back and it revealed the top portion of my unzipped zipper *gasp*! She rushed over and started pulling my shirt down for me and telling me how funny I was.  She advised me to "always make sure my shirt is pulled down because it would just be humiliating if someone else saw!" Heaven forbid.

-"For the next few weeks make sure you have gas in your car so you have a way to get to the hospital"

-"Just get the epidural the moment you get to the hospital because you do not want to know what real pain feels like"

-After telling the doctor about some very uncomfortable and sudden pain I've felt in the past day or two, he responded with a sympathetic look and "I hate to tell you that it will probably just get worse- but you can always take a warm bath or shower, warm compresses, or tylenol to help it feel better".  I bet there is nothing worse than telling a very pregnant person that the only real relief is the actual birth of their baby, which won't be happening for another few weeks.



2 comments:

  1. Hahaha I agree with the last comment about how there's nothing worse than your doctor telling you that the only thing you can really do to help yourself is to have the baby. My hips started cracking & tearing apart when I would roll over at night starting at about 20 weeks with Elsie. Got progressively worse each day til I finally just couldn't move anymore. Want to know what cured me. Gosh darn it-- having that baby (seriously, healed in like a day. Weirdest thing ever). But I was always glad my doc didn't give me false hope & a list of things that "might"/won't really help.

    ReplyDelete