some things are.... different. I have a few examples-
1. Dreyer's ice cream is called Edy's. Why? I don't have the answer. But everywhere east of the rockies it is called Edy's. At the end of Main Street in the Magic Kingdom (florida) they have a "Edy's". At the end of Main Street in Disneyland (california) they have a "Dreyer's".
2. Carl's Jr. is called Hardee's. Again I have no answer for why. All I know is they are sibling chain restaurants.
3. There are GIGANTIC squirrels everywhere. Everywhere. And they chase each other. In our tree. Usually it is a boy chasing a girl. If you get what I'm saying.
4. Mosquito's bite a lot. Riley decided that they have had hundreds of years of experience here.
5. Public transportation is amazing. On Tuesday Benson and I drove 30 minutes away to a mechanic (to leave it overnight so they could do the state safety inspection- another story in and of itself) and were able to walk to a metro station, take a train, transfer trains, and find a bus to take us right to our neighborhood. It was very easy to navigate. Unlike other systems... *cough cough* subway.
6. Registering a car is impossible. I kid you not. It took three mechanics to pass our car (the first one estimated $1500 worth of repairs), two trips to Wheaton (30 minutes away), one trip to the MVA only to be turned away because we don't have a Maryland insurance plan, yet. So no, it still is not done.
7. It took three trips to the MVA to get our driver's licenses. Riley had to get his first so that he could sign for me to get mine- because I had no utility bills in my name so we couldn't prove that I live here. Luckily we have a marriage license, so once we got that they allowed me to get a license. Ha.
8. Some people are nice. Other's are not. But I guess that is true anywhere you go...
9. I can't take Benson to a store without at least 5 people, usually more, stopping to talk to him. The conversation ALWAYS goes like this:
Person we don't know: Well hello _____(insert handsome, cutie, big eyes, chunky, little) guy! How are you today?
Me: Say "hello"
Person we don't know: He is just so sweet. I can't believe how beautiful he is. (to benson) how old are you?
Me: He's 7 months old
Person we don't know: Oh my, he's so big!
Me (pushing the shopping cart away): Ok, say goodbye!
10. It is green. SOOOOOOOO green.
11. They call license plates, license tags.
12. They don't have ceiling lights in the bedroom. And not just in our apartment!
13. Ikea is so close and I love it.
14. Target is so close and I love it.
15. Deer and rabbits wander around our complex.
16. We have a swimming pool and it is awesome.
In conclusion, Maryland is nice despite the difficulties we have had with car/license and internet.
Look at you guys being all proactive with your license plates and drivers licenses. My AZ drivers license doesn't expire until 2049 and I'm going to hold onto that bad boy as long as I can. Shhhh..just don't tell the state of CA. : ) Ha ha.
ReplyDeleteDon't forget that if it is an old person they have to mention something about their grandchildren who most likely are 20 years old. -matt
ReplyDelete